Monday, January 30, 2012

2 by 4 storage shelves how-to

We have a large furnace room in our basement. We also have 3 little ones, and along with that comes the chaos of toys. What better thing to do than build and industrial strength storage unit in our basement?
Last year, I set out to find something to hold the big Tupperware bins we have. I went to Home Depot and started explaining to the lumber guy what I wanted to do. He kept trying to point me towards a metal shelf for $100. A 4 x 8 metal shelf for what? No way. I knew I could do better, so I just ignored him and went searching for myself.




What did I find? 2 x 4 x 8's and plywood! The guy was such a jerk trying to help me. He said my plans were not right, it wouldn't work, yatta, yatta, yatta.


So. . . I bought the lumber and drove home to build my shelf.


I sawed all the wood in our garage with a miter saw, then split the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in half.


I then hauled all the lumber into our basement and built the shelf while my hubby looked on (he had just had spine surgery and couldn't lift more than 5 lbs).








This year? I just zipped into Home Depot, bought my 6-2 x4 x8's and 2 sheets of 4 x 8 plywood. I had one of the nice lumber guys rip the plywood in half and then cut another few pieces of 2 x 4's into 24 inch lengths to use as the braces for the shelves.




Mike ended up putting almost all the "ladders" together for me using 2 1/2 inch screws.







After putting all the ladder pieces (the ends and middle that hold up the shelves) together, we started placing the plywood in between them.








No comments:

Post a Comment