Saturday, February 11, 2012

How to be a working mom?

Ha! You'd think I'd have it down pat...right? Wrong? First off, I don't know how you could be a SAHM. I think it is such a demanding, stressful, hard job. I also don't know how to be a FT working mom. It's the same: demanding, stressful, hard. Yet both are extremely rewarding.

Growing up, I wanted to be a SAHM. My hubby and I talked about it when we were dating, and that was the plan: I stay home with the kids and he works.

About 2 years into our marriage, that went out the window. I was a full time realtor, and he was a full time financial advisor. He hated it. Not all of it, but most of it and while we were on a trip to the BWCA, he decided he would pursue his dream: to become a teacher. Shocking? Yes. Best decision for his career? Yes. A tough pill to swallow that I would HAVE to work? Yes.


Fast forward a year, and we were expecting our 1st child.
Mike was a special education assistant (making less than $20K/year), he was going to school full-time (nights and weekends), and I was working full-time for a pharmaceutical company. I had the world's WORST manager. WORST, WORST, WORST. She sucked. Big time!

After our first was born, I had the strongest desire to stay home. Mike said we can make it work, but we may have to sell our house and move into an apartment. I hated that idea and had a very hard time letting go of my ideal of staying home.

When Blake was about 7 months old,  I  started a job with a different company and was blessed with the world's greatest manager.  He totally understood what it meant to be a working mom. He still expected 100% at work, yet understood that appointments and sick kids certainly came first. 

Most days, however mornings are crazy!  I typically get up early (5:15) and then work out. When I come home, I make lunches, take a quick shower, help with any remaining homework and get the kids in the car.  It seems so easy and written down, but it is far from easy.  Unfortunately. tears can be shed and I sometimes lose my cool with rushing to get out the door by 7:25. 

At this point in my life, I bring the boys to daycare and drive Kenna to her school and have her there by 8 AM.  Again, it seems so simple.... But we have been late plenty of times. So much so that I got a letter stating that if she were to be late to school one more time that the county iwould be contacting us. I am not sure what that really means, so I have shredded her late slips and worked really hard to get her seated in her classroom before the kids that ride the bus get there!  

Aside from our crazy, rushed mornings, I have found it easiest to plan our dinner and set out parts of what we'll have for dinner in the morning.   I will grab stuff out of the freezer that needs to be thawed and set it in the sink, or remind myself to buy ingredients as needed for whatever it is that I am making.  

After picking up the kids from daycare and school, it is a mad dash to cram in some fun at night!  Now that it is spring out, the kids play outside either playing a sport or playing on the swing set or trying to capture our chickens!  

I will make dinner and we eat as a family, then finish up homework and head to bed.  It is completely exhausting, but I get the best of both worlds!  I get to do a job that I love and I get to spend time with my family...I wouldn't have it any other way.  (Unless I could have summers off, like Mike) 

No comments:

Post a Comment